If this isn’t earth shattering news to you, then you probably have lots of experience with the crock pot unlike me. This week, I decided to combine my usual pasta sauce ingredients and just try putting them in the dusty old crock pot and my GOD I am glad I did. My husband doesn’t like pesto too much (how can you NOT!?) and would prefer a good red sauce so I stuck to a kind that has only 3g of sugar and is made with lots of normal reading ingredients aka. natural good things!
- sausage (I prefer getting chicken sausage and this kind from Stop and Shop looked pretty dang good. Another way of sneaking in some greens for the guy who hates anything remotely veggie…)
- marinara (Mario Batali has a great line but any kind can work. I just love that the ingredients are fresh and natural)
- Pasta (could we have gone with the boring whole wheat? Yes. Would that have been healthier? Sure. But it’s italian sausage and spinach!)
- Pour half a jar of your marinara into the crock pot.
- Cut up the sausage into 1/2″ slices directly into the crock pot. I usually use the kitchen shears for this and eyeball it.
- Pour the rest of the marinara on top.
- Set 3.5-4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Make pasta separately as you normally would (aka. boil water with some salt in it, pour in the pasta, drain the pasta when it’s at desired tenderness)
- Pour drained pasta into the crockpot a few minutes before you want to serve. Stir all ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve with grated parm!
Look, I never claimed to be a fancy chef! If these recipes seem lame, they probably are but DAMN do they taste good.